Sunday 19 July 2015

Drilling through titanium is not so scary, after all!

Remember I've got some titanium and was having loads of fun flame-colouring it, and a bit less fun wearing saw blades down like crazy? Well, I've finished one pendant (the other one is aaaalmost finished).
What I really feared was drilling holes for rivets. I ordered diamond drill bits to do the job, but was still quite apprehensive about the whole process. I even invented a very high-tech cooling set-up for drilling... namely: yoghurt container with thickly folded paper and enough water to keep the piece submerged. Oh and there was also plasticine layer to weight the paper down. High-tech, I tell you!
As it turned out, drilling was pretty easy. I fell in love with diamond drill bits, and would happily use them for anything, if only the weren't so expensive!
I also promptly broke one, but that wasn't titanium fault, it was all me.
Oh, I also bought rotary tool with flexishaft, and I absolutely love it! I makes drilling (and engraving) much easier!
The finished piece looks like this:


Copper and titanium wolf pendant
Placing the rivets was a little tricky, especially on the side with the pierced out moon. That's why the rivets are not evenly spaced.  I first drilled through copper alone, then taped both metals together, and drilled through titanium placing drill bit in holes in copper.
Back
The copper part is of course oxidised, as well as etched. The rivets are a bit chunky on the back of the pendant, because I decided to make balls at the ends of the wire, and them hammer them flat. That was less because of design choice, and more because I wanted to make my life easier, and have just one side of the rivet to worry about ;)
That photo captures colour better
It was a fun piece to make! I'm now (vaguely) planning to make some earrings out of leftover titanium, and maybe one more pendant(if there will be enough of the metal left for that). I also don't know what I did differently the second time I was sawing titanium, but I actually used up one less blade for a slightly bigger piece.
My thoughts on that metal so far: it gives interesting colour options, is very light, so it's great for earrings, and allows to make bigger pieces that will still be light, sawing it is a pain, as probably is forming it ( I didn't try that, but I'm guessing based on its hardness), drilling through it isn't a real challenge when you have diamond drill bits and go slow. You also can't solder it, so you can go creative with cold connections. Guessing by the drilling process, and the fact that the drill doesn't seem dulled or worn, you can probably engrave it with diamond engraving bits. That's one thing I'm going to try!

It's an interesting material to work with, and I'm going to experiment with it a bit more :)

Till the next time!
Kasia Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments: