Friday 14 November 2014

Beacause Christmas adverts are already everywhere...

...I gave in to the madness and made winter/Christmas earrings.

They are made of fimo polymer clay in white and mother of pearl. I also used fimo liquid to strengthen them and make sure they won't fall apart or break. I like the outcome well enough, but while I was making them I thought I was going to explode out of shear irritation with all those little parts... and polymer clay, that was getting really sticky, especially near the end. But I won! And that's the good thing about jewellery-making for me: it tests my patience (which isn't great) and encourages me to develop rather persistent streak.
And here they are:

 They are about 4.1 - 4.3cm long each. If you count earhook, that would make them about 5.5cm long each. They are extremely lightweight, which is quite common for polymer clay jewellery - you would have to use rather big amounts of it to make something heavy. Those earrings weight only 1 - 1.1g each.
I don't know why mother of pearl snowflakes look kind of... lightly brownish-grey here...
Anyway, the earhooks are silver-plated and, to the best of my knowledge, nickel-free ( I was in no way involved in making them, so I cannot say for sure, but that's what seller promised ), and jump rings are sterling silver.
I made those earrings entirely by hand, without using any moulds, so there are slight differences between them. I think there is 1 - 2 mm difference in length, but I'm not sure, and I don't have them anywhere near me at the moment, so I cannot check. Also, I'm lazy and I can't be bothered to go and measure them right now ;) But the measurements I have written down differ by that amount, so that should be it.
They are protected with varnish, and are ready to be sold in their own little box :)

For next post, I will probably show some stuff I've made some time ago, because right now I'm in the process of making another necklace combining viking knit and chasing and repousee, and that will take some time. I also, for some perplexing reason, decided to solder a bezel on pendant of that necklace, and now I'm wondering if I survive that process.... because of some technical difficulties it's driving me mad!

Anyway, I hope I WILL finish that necklace in some reasonable time, that I WILL solder that blasted bezel on as it should be soldered on, and that I will NOT go completely crazy in the meantime ;)

Have a great weekend!

Kasia

No comments:

Post a Comment